Donor Advised Fund
Do you have an account with Fidelity Charitable, Schwab Charitable, or BNY Mellon?
It’s easy to make a gift to HVO through a donor advised fund (DAF) account. Just use the DAF Direct box below. Select the institution where you have your account from the drop-down menu, note any designation (or indicate “where needed most!”), and fill out the amount of the gift you’d like to make. When you click the “Next” button, you will be taken directly to your donor advised fund provider.
What is a donor-advised fund?
A donor-advised fund (DAF) provides donors with a centralized charitable giving vehicle. It allows philanthropically inclined individuals, families, and corporations to make an irrevocable charitable gift to a public charity that sponsors a DAF program and take an immediate tax deduction.
Main advantages of a donor-advised fund
- Simplicity: The DAF sponsor handles all record keeping, disbursements, and tax receipts.
- Flexibility: Timing of your tax deduction can be separate from your charitable decision making.
- Tax efficiency: Contributions are tax-deductible, and any investment growth in the DAF is tax-free. It is also easy to donate long-term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes and allowing you to support several charities from one block of stock.
- Family legacy: A DAF is a powerful way to build or continue a tradition of family philanthropy.
- No start-up costs: There is no cost to establish a donor-advised fund. However, there are often minimum initial charitable contributions to establish the DAF (typically $5,000 or more).
- Privacy, if desired: Donors may choose to remain anonymous to the grant recipient.