Facebook offers an easy, fun way for donors to make gifts, both large and small, and does so without charging any fees – currently, 100% of donations made through Facebook fundraisers go to HVO.
Want to help?
To get started, make sure you are logged into Facebook and go to www.facebook.com/fund/hvousa/
- Decide on the amount, type of currency, and end date of your campaign
- Most campaigns have a fundraising goal from $500-$1000, and we encourage you to use special dates to note your campaign. GivingTuesday is December 3 this year, and the end of HVO’s fiscal year is December 31, 2019.
- Hit “Next” to choose a title and tell your HVO story.
- Hit “Next” again to choose a cover photo or video. If you don’t choose one, it will default to the picture shown as the current HVO cover image.
Your FB Fundraiser has been created! Now:
- Invite friends or other members of a group that you are part of to donate. Encourage friends and family to promote your fundraiser to their group of friends on their Facebook page.
- Your fundraiser dashboard is now available to you on your personal home screen or on the left column under “Fundraisers.” From this dashboard, you’re able to:
- Invite others to view your campaign
- Share your fundraiser as a post
- See how many people have donated to your campaign
- Edit the campaign
- Add other organizers to your campaign
- Pledge to match donations with other contributors to your campaign
- HVO has access to a report listing donations made to the organization, which includes a note about which fundraiser the donor gives through. If a donor chooses to remain anonymous and/or does not want to share their contact information, we simply see the amount and fundraiser information. We will only contact donors with a thank you if they choose to receive information from us. Most often, “thank you” notes in these campaigns are sent through Facebook posts, often by the person running the campaign.
Other important notes
- Currently, Facebook does not charge a fee to process a donation, so 100% of all gifts go to HVO!
- While “Birthday” fundraisers are the most popular (and Facebook reminds users that the feature is available one month prior to the day), a fundraiser can be created at any time, for any reason.
- Facebook Fundraisers are visible and searchable to the public.
- Explore button allows a user to search existing fundraisers by keyword.
- The “manage” button will take you to tips and helpful suggestions.
- Facebook Fundraiser is not compatible with the Internet Explorer browser.
- If you’d like photos or text about HVO, you are welcome to contact our Communications Manager, who can provide additional resources.